Monday, November 5, 2007

the lone cowboy.. Eagle 2








Reminiscent of the struggle to survive through means of hard work and sacrifice, this composition explores the lifestyle the "lone soldier" confronts when leaving his family to find work in a place called Los Angeles. We all know this man. He's your father. He's my grandfather. He might be your neighbor or even our friend.




Regardless of culture, the story is not unusual. A man leaves "home" to find a job so that he can send money back to his loved ones. He travels. He searches and yet he finds no place willing to accept him because he is a foreigner. There is a conflict within to remain true to his morals yet there is the longing for companionship and the need to simply survive. He cannot apply for a loan or license for a business because he is not a citizen. Without a loan, there is no money...and without money, there is no independence.


Consequently, the "Instant Store" is created. With what items the soldier has, be it oranges or bananas, it is covertly exposed to the common people as means for survival.





That's my 2 cents. What's yours?





--emily cheng

2 comments:

Ramon said...

Emily,

Now we're cooking! It's been my feeling for some time that people have been left out of the equation. I think you piece puts the perspetive on what matters. Great job.

There are some 'issues' that need to be delt with, technically speaking. The transition between the palms and the 'brown and yellow' sky is a little in both worlds. I think there should be a definite stand, I recommend the digital instead of the photo, but that's just me.

I think the piece is strong and needs minor adjustments.

Rock on!

Jose said...

hi emily
I agree with ramon generally. this is a strong image with a lot of content. I wonder if the image could be a bit more etherial...I think it might add to the drama (but it would only make the issue ramon touched on--the brown and yellow sky and palm tree thing--it would probably make that issue worse. I think, however, working with a bit more atmospheric effects might add some depth and hieghten the social commentary.